little banner

sign near Jeff CitySugar Loaf sign post near Jefferson City.

The Lewis and Clark Expedition went past the site of the future capitol of Missouri on June 4, 1804. St. Charles was the original state capitol but in 1826 the capitol was moved to this more central location. Jefferson City was named for President Thomas Jefferson who was responsible for sending Lewis and Clark on their expedition.

Visitors to the capitol building may learn about the history of the state through a variety of exhibits.